Things have been steadily taking off the past couple weeks at Binary Cocoa. We say that a lot but it really feels like we’re getting places lately. A prototype was completed for IT simulator, bugs were squashed in BOCO, and work commenced on a new game called Metanet Hunter: Battle. This is a game that was created by NightKawata and the Nekeuzen Team with us lending some art and possibly some additional coding.
On the first day of the game we were able to add a background, some map tiles and even the main character. The following four days were filled with making a hud, implementing some enemies and a trash can boss that throws trash bags that explode into dirty diaper particles. It’s a disgusting idea but the boss looks pretty great so far:
For fun I drew a crocodile in a palm tree button up shirt and khaki cargo shorts, just like our dads wore to the beach when we were younger. Face it, we’ll be doing it soon someday. We put him into the game and it turned out wonderfully as well:
We hope to be able to add some more content over the next couple of days and possibly have a trailer within a month if we’re lucky. Thankfully a huge snow storm blew over the entire east coast over the last week so school and work were cancelled. This left us with a lot of time to get started and hopefully the momentum will carry over the next couple weeks as we try to finish this new game up.
Last week I received a call from Joseph with a proposition to do art for a new game. The stipulation was that the project needed to be completed in three days. The idea seemed sort of impossible at first with just the two of us working on it, but our friend NightKawata came on board and ended up doing the heftiest work. After two nights of not much sleep we were able to create a game about IT people that would fix computers as customers broke them. Think the idea sounds silly? You’re probably right, and your thoughts will probably be validated by this amazing trailer:
If you’re feeling too lazy to do a click on the mouse you can gaze at these screenshots to get a sense of what we accomplished over the weekend.
I drew the assets in photoshop and assorted them onto tile sheets, which would then be assembled in a map editor called Tiled. NightKawata and Joseph worked on the code and kept me sane during the process. The game features a varying amount of levels of a building that the player, or two players would have to climb in an elevator to fix printers, copiers and computers. We started out by just giving the player a fixing function, which quickly escalated to being able to pick up copiers and throw them out the windows on the side of the building. Then we added smoke and fire to the printers once they took on more damage. The result was catastrophic and beautiful. If you pay attention while playing there are some other easter eggs I wont mention here to keep up the suspense.
The fact that we were able to finish this in three days was an amazing feat to the whole team because we usually take a couple weeks or months to finish a project. I think we have Kawata to blame for keeping us from the couch and bowl of Cheetos. It just goes to show that if you put in a little work and are motivated you can create some really cool stuff in a fairly short amount of time. We also learned that sleep is for suckers, unless you don’t like falling asleep randomly with your face down in your bowl of cheerios the next morning.
Bah. Everyone likes that.